The contrast between Brion's lackluster outer facade and the wonderful environment inside is striking.
This huge sports bar and restaurant also has an extra-large menu, which features burgers, steaks, fish, sandwiches, risotto, piccatta, ribs, creative entree salads, Asian spring rolls and more.
Best of all, it offers a "gourmet lunch" buffet for just $8.50. This lunch buffet is perhaps the best dining value in the area; it's no wonder that Brion's various dining rooms are always full of happy eaters around noon. Another plus: The kitchen stays open late.
On the edge of George Mason University, the restaurant is swathed in the school's colors, and features an impressive number of framed athletic jerseys and photos.
The owner, Fairfax native Brion Sumser, played hoops at Mason in the '70s, and his restaurant's huge backroom is dedicated to Mason's Final Four run in 2006.
"The GMU basketball coach comes here after almost every home game, and we're popular with other coaches, alumni, faculty and students. They all come here," states General Manager Mike Haley. "Tuesdays are half-price burger night. All the students come in that night. This is a great local/student hangout spot."
The restaurant frequently hosts charitable and fundraising events.
- Hours: Mon - Sat, 11:30am (closing hours vary according to business); Sun, 9:30am
- Handicap Accessible: There is access through the mall to the back of the restaurant
- Founding Date: 1989
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: Sandwiches, steaks, seafood, fish, salads, burritos, deserts, alcoholic beverages, pasta
- Food & dining options: Gluten-free, Low calorie, Vegetarian
- General services: Catering, Eat-in, Phone orders, Take-out
- Menu link: brionsgrille.com
- Specialties: prime rib (Friday and Saturday special), happy hour crab cakes, ribs, burgers
- ATM: No
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: Yes
- Cuisine: American, Bar Food, Barbecue, Burgers, Dessert / Ice Cream, Sandwiches, Seafood, Steak House
- Signature dishes: prime rib, burgers
- What dish is most representative of the restaurant?: Burgers; sandwiches named after a local figure
- Price level: $
- Reservations: Accepted
- Executive chef: Terry Wailine
- Number of tables: 55
- Features: Banquets, Brunch, Buffet, Catering, Dinner, Group-friendly, Happy Hour, Kids' Menu, Live Entertainment, Lunch, Private Parties
- Atmosphere: Bar Scene, Fun
- Dress code: Appropriate dress required
- Cover charge: No
- Features: Happy hour, Live music, Private parties, Private room
- Food/drink: Yes
- Alcohol served: Yes
- Bar type: Live Music, Sports bar
- Bar Specialties: Beer, Cocktails, Martinis, Wine
- Bar Features: Big-screen TVs, Jukebox
- Beer Types: Craft, Domestic, Imported, Microbrew