Girls Lacrosse: W.T. Woodson Cavaliers vs South County Stallions - Friday, April 12
The Cavaliers girls’ lacrosse team returned to action Friday night with a convincing 19 – 5 win on the road in Lorton against the South County Stallions. The win is the third in a row for Woodson after starting the season with losses against Langley and Madison.
Woodson controlled play from the outset against South County. The Cavs jumped out to an early lead, combining a fast-paced offense with tight defense to put the game out of reach in the first half.
Woodson was led on offense by senior DeeDee Montgomery, junior Alex Lightfoot, and sophomore Jasmine Kim, who combined for 11 of the Cavs’ goals.
Montgomery and freshman Claire Swanson dominated draw controls for Woodson, allowing the Cavs to dictate the pace of play for most of the game. Sophomore Lizzie Benedetto was stellar in goal for Woodson with 12 saves.
Lindsey Lawrence and Katelyn Cummings, each with two goals, led the Stallions on offense. Katherine Walton played well on defense for South County.
The win over the Stallions provided the Cavs a needed boost entering the Patriot District play, which continues for Woodson on Tuesday night, April 16th at home against the Titans of T.C. Williams.
Also on Fairfax City Patch:
- Residents Will Soon Officially Be Fairfax Water Customers
- Photo of the Day: Woodson High Freshman Wows with National Anthem at Pine Ridge Field
- Lyrid Meteor Shower 2013: Where and When to Watch
- Woodson High School to Celebrate Golden Anniversary
- Fairfax Native Wins Peace Award
- BREAKING: Fairfax City Man Identified as Body Found in Chantilly Brush Fire