Firefighters responded to the call at around 3:20 a.m. Sunday.
"Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the first floor and garage area of the middle unit, three-story townhouse upon arrival," Fairfax County Fire and Rescue officials said Monday.
"As the fire was spreading to the second floor, firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes."
Three adults were home when the fire broke out, and managed to escape the townhouse. All three have been displaced.
The fire caused considerable damage to the townhouse, which is estimated at around $250,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended candle in the basement caused the fire.
In light of the fire, Fire and Rescue officials offered the following tips when using candles in the home:
- Do not place candles near combustible materials.
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Never leave children unattended in a room with an open-flame candle.
- Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
- Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
- Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.
FOLLOW FAIRFAX CITY PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!Facebook | Twitter | Daily & Breaking News E-mail Updates