.

A Holiday Letter From Fairfax City's Fire Chief

Candles, lights, fires in the fireplace—they're all popular during the holiday season. Here's what our fire chief wants you to remember.

Fairfax City's fire chief reminds us all to be safe when it comes to holiday candles, lights and fires this season. (File Photo)
Fairfax City's fire chief reminds us all to be safe when it comes to holiday candles, lights and fires this season. (File Photo)

Dear Editor:

‘Tis the season to be jolly, as the holiday standard goes. 

In many homes, this means a log on the fire, a trimmed tree or a menorah glowing brightly. All these signs of the season bring feelings of comfort and joy to families. But what you may not realize is that they also bring an increased risk of fire in the home.

The winter months are the peak times for home candle and heating fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles, while 38 percent of home heating fires started in fireplaces or chimneys.

The City of Fairfax Fire Department’s holiday wish is for all city residents to have a merry, bright and SAFE holiday season. By recognizing holiday fire hazards and using a little extra caution, you can help keep your home full of comfort and joy.

When decking the halls, choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant, and keep them away from candles or any other heat source. Not all holiday lights are made equal, so be sure that you know whether yours are for indoor or outdoor use, and be sure to replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.

Lighting candles, whether for decorating or religious rituals, should always be done with caution. Candles should be in a sturdy holder and placed on an uncluttered surface. Lit candles should not be placed in windows where a blind or curtain could catch fire. 

Never leave a lit candle unattended. Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Additionally, candles placed on or near tables, altars, or shrines must be monitored by an adult.

Lastly, roasting anything on an open fire in the fireplace is not a good idea! Make sure that your fireplace has a sturdy screen and keep kids three feet away. Have your chimney cleaned regularly and dispose of ashes in a metal container far away from the home.

We know that the holidays are a hectic time of year for all residents. Please help us to keep our community safe from fire this season.

 

Sincerely,

Fire Chief Dave Rohr


FOLLOW FAIRFAX CITY PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!

Facebook | Twitter | Daily & Breaking News E-mail Updates

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »