"It is with great pleasure that the MCM can officially announce we are on. We are SO on," Nealis said in a statement to runners Thursday. "See you at the start line!"
The marathon is scheduled for Oct. 27.
The shutdown, which closed federal buildings, monuments and parks, had threatened to affect the annual marathon, with organizers announcing earlier this week that "all options" were on the table — including canceling the event or a potential route change.
More than 60 percent of the marathon's course is on National Park Service land.
"The course hasn't changed," marathon spokeswoman Tami Faram told Patch on Thursday. "We're excited."
The marathon's Facebook page added a short video message from Nealis announcing the news Thursday morning, which is included above.
Marine Corps Marathon weekend generated $31.7 million in spending for the D.C. Metro area in October 2006, according to a report from the George Washington University International Institute of Tourism Studies.
The shutdown also threatened a course re-route for the Army Ten-Miler, which is Sunday.
Thursday morning, there was no indication from that run's organizers that such a change was any longer necessary.
Are you happy the Marine Corps Marathon is back on? Do you plan to run? Tell us in the comments below.
FOLLOW FAIRFAX CITY PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!