The City of Fairfax Police Department makes the following Halloween safety recommendations to help ensure that an enjoyable and safe time is had by all participants, both young and older.
- Wear light-colored clothing that's short enough to prevent tripping and add reflective tape to the sides, front and back of the costume.
- Make sure children can see well through masks, or use cosmetics to create fun or scary faces.
- Travel in small groups and always make sure there is an adult acting as chaperone.
- Stay within the neighborhood and visit only homes you know.
- Visit homes with porch lights on or other indications that trick-or-treaters are welcome.
- Watch for traffic and carry a flashlight or glowstick to increase visibility; stay on sidewalks.
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged candy.
- Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
- Keep costumed children away from pets. The animal may not recognize the child and become frightened.
- Avoid hard plastic or wood props such as daggers or swords. Substitute with foam rubber, which is soft and flexible.
- Confine trick-or-treating activities to the early evening hours of Monday, Oct. 31. Motorists are asked to be especially alert and use extra caution during these hours.
For further information contact Sergeant Joe Johnson at (703) 385-7966.