W.T. Woodson High School created its first ever athletic hall of fame this fall for the school's 50th anniversary.
Thanks to a sponsorship from Woodson Athletic Boosters, the Hall of Fame highlights the accomplishments of athletes, coaches and community members who helped shaped the school's award-winning athletics program.
The 2012 inaugural class includes...
- Tommy Amaker (Boys Basketball 1979-1983)
- Helene Baroody Whaley (Girls Basketball 1979-1983)
- Mel Collins (Football, Basketball, Baseball 1970-1974)
- Jackie Gordon (Track & Field, Basketball, Swimming and Field Hockey 1971-1975)
- Cindi Kunihiro Harkes (Soccer, Swimming andField Hockey 1983-1987)
- Andy Heck (Football, Basketball and Track &Field 1981-1985)
- Pete Holbert (Boys Basketball 1976-1980)
- Ashley McCulloch (Lacrosse, Field Hockey and Basketball 2001-2005)
- Doug Newstrom (Baseball 1987-1990)
- Dimi Pappas (Wrestling 1978-1982)
- Jaclyn Raveia Schmitt (Soccer, Indoor Track & Field and Basketball 1993-1997)
- Marshi Smith (Swimming 1998-2001)
- Abe Thompson (Soccer 1997-2000)
- Paul “Red” Jenkins (Basketball 1962-1997)
- Paul Labazzetta (Wrestling & Football 1972-2004)
- Lew Oppenheim (Announcer 1962-1997)
Athletes are eligible for the Hall of Fame five years after they graduate from Woodson. Coach nominations require a similar standard. They must be five years retired from Fairfax County coaching. Community members need to have served Woodson Athletics for a considerable number of years and made a large contribution to the program.
Click here to nominate someone.