UPDATED: What You Need to Know About the Storm Aftermath in Fairfax
Quick notes on storm recovery in Fairfax.
- Fairfax City government offices will open on time.
- City employees can take liberal leave.
- Parks and Recreation summer camp programs will be held as scheduled.
- Dominion hopes to restore 80 percent of remaining outages by Tuesday evening. Fairfax City has over 2,000 without power as of Sunday night.
- Check this map to see outages in your area. Don't see your outage? Call 1-866-DOM-HELP to report it.
- Fairfax County government offices will open on time.
- County employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled.
- Fairfax County Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court will be closed.
- George Mason University has power again. Classes will be held as scheduled. Campus administrative offices will be open.
- Calls can now be made to and from GMU.
- Regional 911 service has been partially restored.
- Woodson High School does not have power as of Sunday night. Check the FCPS web site and Channel 21 for updates.
- Providence Park is clear and open.
- Van Dyck Park's upper area (pvailion, skate park, volleyball courts, playground and tennis courts) is open. Trails remain closed.
- Dale Lestina and Cobbdale parks are closed. Parks and Rec says they won't be open until after July 4.
- From Dan Drummond: "In @CityofFairfaxVA there are now about 3.5k customers without power (out of 10k) - numbers went up. Some parks/trails remain closed."
- Dominion says outages could last all week. Click here to read more.
- Dominion work crews have Burrows Avenue & Orchard Street, Chain Bridge south of Sutton Road on their to-do lists today.
- Old Town Hall will open as a cooling center starting at 10 a.m.
- Providence, Cobbdale and Dale Lestina parks are closed due to storm debris. All picnic pavillions are also closed.
- Green Acres Center, The Sherwood Center and Historic Blenheim will be closed through Sunday. They did not have power on Saturday. Not sure if that is still the case.
- Harris Teeter stores are distributing free bags of ice this morning.
- Braddock Road and Roberts Road intersection still does not have power. Be careful driving through there. Roberts Road still closed from Braddock to the GMU entrance.
- Scroll down for info on open businesses and services in Fairfax.
- Sunday morning regional update.
- What is a derecho? Story with radar timelapse of Friday's storm.
- Upload your storm photoshere.
- Click here for Saturday regional storm coverage.
- Sunday's Forecast: Some isolated thunderstorms possible. Highs in mid-90s. Heat index values expected to be in the 100s. The heat's supposed to continue into the week, with a heat index of 105 and high chance of storms for Tuesday and Wednesday. Click here for more weather information.
- There are over 2,000 still without power in Fairfax City. Almost 300,000 people are still without power in Northern Virginia. Click here to see which neighborhoods have to beat the heat the old fashioned way.
- Due to ongoing power outages, all indoor activities at Fairfax County Public Schools are canceled for Sunday, July 1. Outdoor activities may continue as scheduled.
- Power's back on at George Mason University's Fairfax campus. All classes, activities and offices are still on as planned. On-campus phones can make on-campus calls. You might run into some trouble calling the campus from an outside location.
- Falls Church water customers (Tysons, Vienna, Dunn Loring) need to boil their water before using. Fairfax Water customers do not need to boil water.
- Most Fairfax City intersections have power. If you encounter an intersection without power, treat it as a four-way stop. Several major county intersections were without power on Saturday, including Braddock Road and Roberts.
- City of Fairfax Regional Library is open. The library had some alarm issues, but offered a cool place for customers on Saturday. Open Sunday from 1-5 p.m.
Confirmed Open Businesses/Services:
- University Mall businesses are open.
- The Happy Woof will be open today from 11-4. They have power.
- Main Street Bagel Deli is open with AC and Internet.
- Message from Twins Ace Hardware: "We're open today from 9am to 5pm. Still have flashlights, batteries and chain saws. Call us with questions at 703.359.4703. Feel free to come by for a while, have a seat in our outdoor furniture department and enjoy the air conditioning!"
- Epicure Cafe has power, AC and Internet
- Message from Fairfax Corner: "Is your power out? Fairfax Corner has power, air conditioning, and lots of shopping and dining opportunities!!"
- Message from Buffalo Wing University: "Power Out??? Looking for something to do? BWU's OPEN with all of our great Drink and Food Specials!!! Come play cornhole, water pong, or just stop on in to relieve your boredom!"
- Message from Vespucci: "After one day closing due to electric outage, Vespucci is back to normal and open on its regular hours. Wishing you all safe and cool days to come in this challenging time with nature. God bless all."
- Truro Anglican Church will have services at 8 and 10:30 a.m. as well as at 5 p.m. today. The church does not have air conditioning and only a few working lights.
More information will be added throughout the day. New tidbits will be posted at the top of the list.