Local New Year Happenings In and Around Fairfax
Comment with your own New Year's plans.
Wondering what to do on New Year's? Check out this list of things to do in and around Fairfax City.
First, some family-friendly events:
- Fairfax City will be holding its annual Fairfax Four Miler, brought to you by Pacers Running Store and Adidas, for the benefit of the Fairfax Police Youth Club. The race starts at 6:30 p.m. Registration is $35 through Dec. 30 and $40 on race day. A post-race party begins at 8 p.m.
- Rocknoceros, a favorite in the local children's music scene, will host two New Year's Eve parties at Jammin' Java in Vienna. Shows at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. will include a New Year's countdown and apple juice toast. Tickets are available at $10 for guests older than 1. For info, visit http://www.jamminjava.com.
- Unity of Fairfax invites jazz fans to dance in the New Year with Orpheus Jazz Band in Oakton. The family-friendly event lasts from 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. and costs $30 per person.
- TheSPACE in downtown Fairfax City hosts a free party with bands, drinks, food, games and other family-friendly fun starting at 8:30 p.m. Go to http://www.jccag.org for more info.
- For runners who want to get some exercise in before a celebration, the Bull Run 5k takes place at Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville. The race begins at 3 p.m. Online registration costs $27 before Dec. 30.
- First Night Alexandria will be held at 17 indoor venues, offering non-alcoholic family fun throughout the city. At midnight, countdown the New Year on the grounds of the George Washington Masonic Memorial, where they've arranged a multimedia show. Tickets are $20 for all events and can be purchased here.
- Watch Night Falls Church will also provide alcohol-free child-friendly fun. The event is absolutely free and will feature music, dancing, karaoke, an obstacle course, magic shows and much more. The fun starts at 7 p.m. at the intersection of Broad St. and Washington St.
- Kids in grades six through eight can attend a special party from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. at the Falls Church Community Center on New Year's Eve. This event, which is supervised by Falls Church Recreation and Parks, features an inflatable obstacle course, gladiator jousting, moon bounce, music and karaoke. Cost is $30 for people who register in advance; $35 for day-of registration. For info, call 703-248-5077.
- The 2nd annual Frostival will take place at the Dulles Expo Center during the day from Dec. 30 through Jan. 2. Top children's performers from around the area will be on-hand. Ticket prices vary and can be purchased online.
Some events for those looking for more grown-up fun:
- Drop by ICONS in downtown Fairfax City to watch the ball drop on three jumbo screens and over 40 other tvs. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Down some drinks while taking in the local music scene at Fat Tuesday's. Located in University Mall on Braddock, Fats offers an dive-y environment to welcome in the New Year.
- 90 Degrees Sports Bar in Manassas will host New Year's Eve Ball: Gold Edition featuring DJ Jealousy from WPGC. Appropriate dress is required and guests are encouraged to wear something gold. Doors open at 9 p.m.; ticket prices vary.
- Hyatt Fair Lakes will host a New Year's Eve bash featuring numerous live performers and special overnight packages. See their website for details.
Obviously, this is just a sampling of the good times happening around the area. If you know of any other events in Fairfax or nearby, mention it in the comments.